HAM BONE SPLIT PEA SOUP
Split pea soup with ham is one of the easiest and most delicious, satisfying soups. A ham bone is essential for flavoring the broth.
- 12 ounces dried split peas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 leftover ham bone
- 4 sprigs thyme leaves tied with kitchen string
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups cool water - or more if soup gets too thick
- 1 1/2 cups ham pulled from the bone and shredded into bite sized pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
Original Article Click Here
- In a large dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, and celery. Saute for five minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add the ham bone, peas, water, thyme and bay leaf. Stir and cover. Heat to a boil and reduce heat to medium low.
- Simmer for one hour or until peas have broken apart and soup is thick. Remove ham bone and discard. Stir in diced ham and heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve.