|✓ Irish Apple Cake with Custard Sauce|
IRISH APPLE CAKE WITH CUSTARD SAUCE
FOR THE CAKE:
- 3 C. Flour
- 2 t. Baking Powder
- ⅛ t. Salt
- ¼ t. Cloves, ground
- ¼ t. Nutmeg, ground
- 6 oz. Butter, (cold is fine)
- ¾ C. Sugar
- 4 large Granny Smith apples(I used golden delicious to great effect)
- 2 Eggs
- ¾ C. Milk
- 2 T. Sugar(for sprinkling on top of cake)
FOR THE CUSTARD:
- 6 large Egg Yolks
- 6 T. Sugar
- 1½ C. Whole Milk
- 1½ t. Vanilla
FOR THE CAKE:
- Grease and flour an 8" or 9" round springform pan. Using an 8" pan will give you a taller cake.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, cloves and nutmeg into a large mixing bowl. Make sure the bowl is very large to allow room for the apples to be folded in.
- Cut the butter into the flour using your fingers or a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Add the ¾ C. sugar to the flour mixture and mix in.
- Peel the apples and slice them into uniform pieces. This cake works best and gets that 'chunky apple look' if the slices are about ¼" wide and then cut into 3 pieces.
- Toss the apples into the flour mixture and combine them thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and milk together. Add to the apples and flour and mix in with a large spatula until just combined. Batter will be thick and dough-like.
- Transfer the dough into the prepared cake pan and flatten the top surface using the back of your spatula.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes. Test the center for doneness. The top of the cake should be golden brown. Serve slices with custard sauce.
FOR THE CUSTARD SAUCE:
Original Article Click Here
- *note that this sauce is not a thick, pudding like sauce. It should have a pour-able, just thickened consistency when done.
- Place the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and whisk until pale yellow, 2-3 minutes. Place the milk in a medium saucepan and bring just to a boil. Slowly whisk the hot milk into the egg/sugar mixture. Transfer the mixture back to the saucepan and stir over medium heat until custard thickens, about 4 minutes. Custard should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Mix in the vanilla. Transfer to bowl or serving saucer.
- Serve warm or cold over apple cake.